Thursday, February 4, 2010

Compile a list of jobs I might like to have/jobs that use my English/International Studies

I am doing some quizzes and the like on CareerBuilder/CareerPath; I am also reading articles about resumes and jobs that I'm finding in the career section on MSN.com.  Dad suggested I look at the section; I can tell him that I have done so, and this is what I am doing.  After taking a quiz and marking the skills I feel I possess, I can see that an editing position would in fact be a good job for me.  I've wondered about doing such in the past, but is it really something feasible for me to do without a Journalism degree?  Editing is certainly something I am interested in and something I have done for much of my life (I was often helpful in that respect, in high school).  Can I really do it?  I suppose I'll try and look into it.  I should try to find some other things that might be a fit though, too, if only to be able to show my parents.

Hrm.  Here's some of the other stuff it says:
Editor-- My skills fit, I could perform the tasks, and my training fits.
Broadcast News Analyst-- My skills fit, I could possibly perform the tasks, and my training fits (though I lack the experience)
Various Teaching Positions-- These come up as interests, but I think I would need an education degree.  I wonder if I should look into this.  It would be more money and more school...but I would quite like to be a teacher.  I don't know.  Does Adam have an Education degree?  I suppose not, but he has a Master's, hasn't he?  I don't have the experience...
Computer Management/Operating-- These also come up with my marked skills and interests, but I think I might need some kind of technical degree here.  An English degree certainly wouldn't cut it.  Aren't there two-year degrees or similar for starting computer/technical work?  I'm not certain.

It seems that I would be best suited for a career in the media (newspaper/reporting/editing).  I might also consider teaching with more training or computer/technical work with more training.

So let me look for a job in Omaha, NE in the Media - Journalism - Newspaper category...13 results.

  1. Photographer.  No.
  2. Job in Missouri that requires relocation.  No.
  3. Newspaper industry management position.  Requires 5+ years experience, not to mention is in Ohio (why do these non-NE jobs even show up?).  No.
  4. Photographer.  No.
  5. Examiner.com/Omaha.  Write about a particular subject-matter and have access to information.  I...suppose this is mildly possible, but a) it doesn't particularly appeal to me and b)I am not really an expert on anything.  I need something with solid compensation.
  6. Commodity Analyst/News Writer.  Elkhorn.  Too far for taxi.  Requires a license of some kind.  Requires 2 years experience.  Prefers agriculture experience.  I cannot see this happening.
  7. Editor job in Louisiana that requires relocation.  No.
  8. What at first seemed a promising magazine job in Omaha is actually telemarketing--selling advertising space via phone.  Job is also based on commission.  No.  This does not utilize my English degree.
  9. Advertising.  Management.  Requires experience I don't have.  I am getting tired.  Omaha.  But no.
  10. Examiner position relisted.  See above, 5.
  11. Editor in computer software industry.  Requires experience I do not have (5+).  No.
  12. Examiner position relisted.  See 5.
  13. Mississippi job.  No.
I can only hope continued job searches, for jobs in Omaha, Nebraska (not random states!) no less, will go more successfully.  I've conducted searches that proved this unsuccessful before.  I guess, however, I have to keep going.  I'm not sure what to do.

I suppose it would be best to a) try to refine my resume and make it focus more on jobs I may want and b) put said resume out there on career sites.  I may also look into the career counseling my parents (or my father) so seem to want.  Darn it all.  I really think I could find some entry-level job (fast-food or otherwise), but that it wouldn't necessarily utilize my degree.  What am I to do if such a job would be deemed unacceptable?  Is an internship the answer?  What can I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment